Clarity in a Stairwell
I recognized something today that I think I've been aware of on some level for a while. In a moment of clarity while walking up a stairwell, I realized one of my best commodities in the work place is that people enjoy working with me.
Yes, I'm a dedicated and diligent employee who's knowledgeable in my field of expertise, and I've been called a workaholic more than a few times for my efforts to ensure my projects yield the best products on schedule.
But, the thing is, I'm fun while I do it. And that may constitute a bigger slice of the pie chart than people suspect.
I don't really think I've spent much time assessing myself. But, when I examine the available data, I've no other reasonable conclusion.
I've worked before with people who did their job well, but their personalities and attitudes were so unpleasant that you hated to learn they were assigned to your projects. It is sometimes preferable to have a coworker with less ability who is earnest and likable. This can be especially true if your work has the propensity to require long hours.
I think enjoying yourself at work is important. Heck, I know it is! And I think my colleagues have learned that I'll meet my milestones and embrace some entertaining conversation along the way.
That keeps people requesting me for their projects, which can be bad if their projects are being conducted in a place I don't wanna be.
The lesson for today, boys and girls? Fun trumps lame.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home